On Sunday, September 30, we welcomed His Eminence Abp. Khajag Barsamian (former Primate of the Armenian Diocese of America, Eastern), as our guest celebrant for Badarak. Following Badarak, Khajag Srpazan presided over the ceremony of unveiling of the new street sign – “ARMENIA WAY” – on the corner of the church complex. The ceremony began on the church plaza with the children of the parish’s three schools – HMADS, HMALS and Sunday School – singing the America and Armenian national anthems, happily waving flags. Councilman Barry Grodenchik, who was instrumental in getting the approval for “ARMENIA WAY,” served as the Master of Ceremonies for the ceremony. Following celebratory remarks by Khajag Srpazan and Fr. Abraham, a few local politicians expressed their gratitude towards the Armenian community. The crowd of excited parishioners and friends then walked around the church complex to the corner of 210th Street and Horace Harding Expressway for the unveiling.
The sign, “ARMENIA WAY,” was then unveiled by Councilman Barry Grodenchik, with the help of Srpazan Hayr and Fr. Abraham, to the cheers of hundreds of Armenians who came out in the beautiful weather to see the historic event. “ARMENIA WAY” is the first street named for Armenians in New York City. The ceremony on September 30 was filled with much pride and joy for the entire Armenian community, as the day also coincided almost exactly to the 60th anniversary of the consecration of the church (September 28, 1958). Following the unveiling of the street sign a celebratory fellowship, which was standing-room-only, took place in Kalustyan Hall. Remarks by Aram Ciamician (Parish Council Chairman), Dr. Lynn Cetin (60th Anniversary Co-Chair) and Rabbi Menashe Bovit (friend of the Armenia community) highlighted the significance of the day’s event. A cake cutting ceremony concluded the historic day’s festivities.